January 31, 2019
In February 2019, Portugal2020, ANI and FCT will launch a call of international partnerships in Science and Technology, to fund collaborative projects between companies and non-corporate entities of the R&D+I system.
The goal of this soon-to-be released call is to turn Portuguese companies into nodes of collaborative networks and projects, with the support of Portuguese R&D institutions and drawing on the experience and knowledge of North American universities. The planned budget is of 18 M€. Applications will be submitted through the platform Balcão Portugal 2020.
The launch of this competition marks the third phase of the International Partnerships with the University of Texas in Austin (UT Austin), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and MIT, which began in 2018 and will run until 2023.
The aim is to build a model in which Portuguese companies lead the process to modernise the economic fabric, while strengthening the innovation ecosystem in Portugal.
Applications will be allowed from consortia led by Portuguese companies, and involving Portuguese academic institutions. Projects must contribute to consolidating the intergovernmental Atlantic Interactions initiative by addressing the topics identified in the respective Partnership Programs.
In the UT Austin Portugal Program, specific research areas include:
• Scientific quality of the project
• Impact of the project on the company’s competitiveness
• Contribution of the project to the Portuguese economy
• Contribution of the project to regional competiveness
• Business and Industry
• R&D Units (Higher Education Institutions, Research Performance Organizations)
• Located in mainland Portugal
• Alignment with the national and regional Smart Specialization Research and Innovation Strategies
• Maximum duration: 36 months
• At least one Portuguese company (project leader)
• At least one Principal Investigator from one of the eligible US universities (funded by FCT within the agreements with the eligible US universities)
• At least two Portuguese R&D Units
• Electronic submission in the Portal “Portugal 2020”
• Project description in English
Download the flyer here for more information.
A formal announcement will be released soon.
GoPortugal – Global Science and Technology Partnerships Portugal (2018-2013)
Aims to stimulate scientific and entrepreneurial development; to promote Portugal’s positioning in the World through the scientific and economic valorisation of an innovative agenda on “Atlantic Interactions”; attract funding and mobilize various actors, national and international, using an innovative approach in several areas of knowledge. This new stage will provide the creation of qualified employment, attracting human resources of recognized international merit to Portugal.