The original goal of this project was dual. First, to explore the synthesis of a new class of 2D materials that are at the same time semiconductors and ferromagnetic, by doping a well-known class of 2D semiconductors, transition metal dichalcogenides, with magnetic atoms such as Fe. Second, to anticipate the magneto-optical properties of this class of compounds, paying attention to the challenging problem of probing magnetism in 2D Materials.
The overarching long-term goal of this research line was to explore ferromagnetic 2D materials that could be integrated into vertical stacks with other 2D materials to produce functional devices, such as spintronic devices.
In the short run, the impact belongs to the fundamental research area. Given the very high interest of this field of magnetic 2D materials, the project has already led to publications in journals with high visibility (Science, Nano Letters, Andgewandte Chemie, 2D Materials). In the long run, the results of the project could set the foundations of a new class of functional materials. In order to maximise the impact of the project, the INL and UT partners at the time of data collection for this report were writing a review paper on the state-of-the-art of the emerging field of 2D diluted magnetic semiconductors.
|Title||Two dimensional magnetic semiconductors|
|Funding||€ 99 550,00 plus matched funding at UT Austin|
|Leading Institution||Laboratório Ibérico Internacional de Nanotecnologias (INL)|
|Participating Institutions||The University of Austin at Texas (UT Austin)
Universidade do Minho (UM)
|Begin date||September 1, 2018|
|End date||August 31, 2020|
|Keywords||2D Materials, Diluted Magnetic Semiconduct, Synthesis, Magnetic and Optical Properties|
- Publication in 2D Materials of the theory of MOKE for diluted magnetic 2D dichalcogenides;
- Invited Science paper;
- Invited review paper in Nano Letters;
- Publication in Nature Communications.
- 17 Published papers in peer-reviewed Journals;
- 1 (review paper) Jointly authored (PT-US) in preparation;
- 1 MSc. and 3 Doctoral students involved in research work 2 Mobility exchanges supported;
- 2 Awards granted to members of the research team: Prof. Allan MacDonald – Wolf Prize in Physics 2020; Prof. Xiaoqin Li – Peter O’Donnell Award by the Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas;
- 1 New funding application deriving from 2DMS project.
Papers and Communications
Interplay between spin proximity effect and charge-dependent exciton dynamics in MoSe2/CrBr3 van der Waals heterostructures, TP Lyons, D Gillard, A Molina-Sánchez, A Misra, F Withers, PS Keatley, A Kozikov, T Taniguchi, K Watanabe, KS Novoselov, J Fernández-Rossier, AI Tartakovskii Nature Communications 11, 6021 (2020)
Topological Magnons in CrI3 monolayers: an itinerant fermion description A. Costa, D. Santos, N. M. R. Peres, J. Fernández-Rossier 2D Materials (September 22 2020)
Magneto-optical response of Chromium trihalide monolayers: chemical trends A. Molina-Sánchez, G. Catarina, D. Sangalli, J. Fernández- Rossier, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, https://doi.org/10.1039/D0TC01322F
Magneto-optical Kerr effect in spin split two-dimensional massive Dirac materials G. Catarina, N. M. R. Peres, J. Fernández-Rossier, 2D Materials 7, 025011 (2020)
Excitonic magneto-optical Kerr effect in 2D transition metal dichalcogenides induced by spin proximity J. C. G. Henriques, G. Catarina, A. T. Costa, J. Fernández-Rossier, N. M. R. Peres Physical Review B 101, 045408 (2020)
Quantum confinement of Dirac quasiparticles in graphene patterned with subnanometer precision E. Cortés-del Río, P. Mallet, H. González- Herrero, J.L. Lado, J. Fernández-Rossier, J.M. Gómez-Rodríguez, J-Y. Veuille, I. Brihuega Advanced Materials June 22 2020
Collective All‐Carbon Magnetism in Triangulene Dimers S. Mishra, D. Beyer, K. Eimre, R. Ortiz, J. Fernández-Rossier, R. Brger, O. Gröning , C. A. Pignedoli, R. Fasel, X. Feng, P. Ruffieux Angewandte Chemie International Edition 59, 12041-12047 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.202002687
Exchange rules for diradical Pi-conjugated hydrocarbons R. Ortiz, R. A. Boto, N. García-Martínez, J. C. Sancho-García, M. Melle-Franco and J. Fernández- Rossier Nano Letters 19, 5991 (2019)
Interplay between interlayer exchange and stacking in CrI3 D. Soriano, C. Cardoso, J. Fernández-Rossier Solid State Communications 299, 113662 (2019)
- Imaging magnetic 2D crystals with quantum sensors J. Fernández-Rossier Science 364, 935 (2019)
- Hybrid plasmon-magnon polaritons in graphene-antiferromagnet heterostructures Y. V. Bludov, J. N. Gomes, G. A. Farias, J. Fernández-Rossier, M. I. Vasilevskiy, N.M.R. Peres 2D Materials, 6 045003 (2019)
- Dehydropeptide-based plasmonic magnetogels: a supramolecular composite nanosystem for multimodal cancer therapy, S.R.S. Veloso, J.A. Martins, L. Hilliou, C.O. Amorim, V.S. Amaral, B.G. Almeida, P.J. Jervis, R. Moreira, D.M. Pereira, P.J.G. Coutinho, P.M.T. Ferreira, E.M.S. Castanheira, J. Mater. Chem. B, 8, 45 (2020)
- Magnetoliposomes Containing Calcium Ferrite Nanoparticles for Applications in Breast Cancer Therapy, DSM Pereira, BD Cardoso, ARO Rodrigues, CO Amorim, VS Amaral, BG Almeida, MJRP Queiroz, O Martinho, F Baltazar, RC Calhelha, ICFR Ferreira, PJG Coutinho, SEM Castanheira, Pharmaceutics, 11 (9), 477 (2019)
- Development of Multifunctional Liposomes Containing Magnetic/Plasmonic MnFe2O4/Au Core/Shell Nanoparticles, Ana Rita O. Rodrigues, Joana O. G. Matos, Armando M. Nova Dias, Bernardo G. Almeida, Ana Pires, André M. Pereira, João P. Araújo, Maria-João R. P. Queiroz, Elisabete M. S. Castanheira, Paulo J. G. Coutinho, Pharmaceutics, 11, 10 (2019)
- Magnetoliposomes containing magnesium ferrite nanoparticles as nanocarriers for the model drug curcumin, B.D. Cardoso, I.S. R. Rio, A. R. O. Rodrigues, F. C. T. Fernandes, B. G. Almeida, A. Pires, A. M. Pereira, J. P. Araújo, E. M. S. Castanheira, P. J. G. Coutinho, Royal Society Open Science, 5, 181017 (2018)
- Functionalized magnetic composite nano/microfibres with highly oriented van der Waals CrI3 inclusions by electrospinning, Vahideh B. Isfahani, João H. Belo, Loukya Boddapati, Anabela G. Rolo, Rosa M. F. Baptista, Francis Leonard Deepak, João P. Araújo, Etelvina de Matos Gomes, Bernardo G. Almeida, Nanotechnology 32 145703, (December 2020); DOI: 10.1088/1361-6528/abd4a3